Hilton Head South Carolina History
A few old forts and a few cemeteries, punctuated by a half-dozen historical markings, are the only visible traces of the long history of the city of Hilton Head, South Carolina, and its history as a major settlement in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The last of them is located in a small patch of land on the outskirts of the city, a few hundred meters from the old fortress and cemetery.
Hilton Head was founded in 1983 as a community, and today activists are working to preserve the city's historic buildings, monuments and sites, as well as its cultural heritage. The first church on Hilton Head Island to be completed in 1788 was the Church of the Immaculate Conception, the first of its kind in South Carolina.
Entiting Images of America on Hilton Head Island covers the island's history and is available at the museum at 843 - 689 - 6767.
Michael Trinkley prepares to open the Coastal Discovery Museum on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA. A timeline of Hilton Head Island's history is available on the Hiltonhead Island Historical Society's website at 843-689-6767. The Museum of Coast Exploration informs visitors from all over the world about the history of the island and its history as a tourist destination. Preparing the ruins: Michael Trinksley has prepared the first of his two-part photo series for Hilton Head Island History.
Michael Trinkley edited and re-edited the first part of his two-part photo series for Hilton Head Island History. Michael Trinksley had edited the first two parts of the second part of the series "The Coastal Discovery Museum."
Janie Aiken Grant helped to edit the second part of her two-part photo series for Hilton Head Island History. Consider a letter written by the first resident of Hilton Head Island, Ann Aikens Grant, to her husband Charles on Hiltonhead Island in 1867.
The Gullah Museum of Hilton Head Island is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization founded in 1996 to preserve the history and culture of the people of South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina. The Charter, which dates from April 19, 1993, was signed by 20 enthusiastic women and was established in 1996 by Janie Aikens Grant and her husband Charles Grant. It is the first of its kind in the United States and one of only a handful of established 501 (c) (4) non-profits in North America to preserve the historical, cultural and cultural heritage of a small group of people from a diverse ethnic group on the island.
When the Civil War broke out in 1861, the Union Army occupied Hilton Head and used the island as a stage for its invasion of South Carolina and North Carolina. After the Union had taken the islands, it became the headquarters of its blockade of the Confederacy. Hilton Head Island was of enormous importance during the Civil War and became a major contact point between the United States and the Confederate States of America, and has since become a popular tourist destination for visitors from all over the United States and Europe.
Hilton Head Island played a significant role in four major wars, and as the debate over the colonial revolution escalated, it sided with the colonists and the Tories. In less than five hours, the Union fleet captured the entire Hilton Head, as well as most of South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia.
In January 1861, General Robert E. Lee was commissioned to begin his campaign against the Confederate States of America in the Civil War. South Carolina was also the first state to secede from the Union and lead the South into the Civil War, in which Hilton Head would play an interesting role.
When a Union fleet sailed into the Atlantic and captured Fort Walker on Hilton Head Island on November 7, 1861, the slave owners fled inland. Union troops freed more than 1,000 slaves in the largest slave liberation operation in South Carolina history. The first freed slaves of the Civil War were taken from Hilton Head by Union troops and set out on their journey back to their home in the South.
The economy of neighboring Bluffton soared with the construction of Highway 278 to the east to Hilton Head and Highway 278 to the north. Wood and pine trees growing at the south end of Hilton Head Island convinced the property's owner, Loomis Thorne Jr., and his family to found the Hilton Head Company, which later acquired the properties from their owner, Loois Thorne, and later from his son-in-law.